RED TAIL OPSEC
Know your critical information and protect it!
SMSgt Jonathan Dean and Lieutenant Joshua Brewer
To all members: be extra cautious of people asking detailed questions or attempting to gain intelligence about military activities or personnel. Please report any instances of this behavior to the Dannelly Field's OPSEC managers.
1. Do not post exact deployment dates or redeployment dates
2. Do not reveal camp locations, including nearby cities. After the deployment is officially announced by Military officials, you may discuss locations that have been released, normally on the Country level.
3. Do not discuss convoy routes (“we travelled through Takrit on our way to X”)
Detailed information on the mission, capabilities or morale of a unit
Specific names or actual nicknames
4. Personnel transactions that occur in large numbers (Example: pay information, powers of attorney, wills, etc)
5. Details concerning security procedures, response times, tactics
6. Don’t discuss equipment or lack thereof, to include training equipment
7. Don’t speculate about future operations
8. If posting pictures, don’t post anything that could be misconstrued or used for propaganda purposes. A good rule of thumb is to look at your picture without your caption or explanation and consider if it could be re-captioned to reflect poorly on coalition forces. For example, your image might show your Soldier rescuing a child from a blast site, but could be re-captioned to insinuate that the child being captured or harmed. (It’s happened!)
9. Avoid the use of count-up or count-down tickers for the same reason as rule #1
10. Be very careful if posting pictures of your loved one. Avoid images that show significant landmarks near their base of operations, and black out last names and unit affiliations
11. Do not, ever, post information about casualties (coalition or enemy) before the official release of the information.
12. Do not pass on rumors (“I heard they’re coming home early”, etc.)
DETECT INTRUSION WITH THESE SIMPLE TRICKS
OVERSEAS TRAVEL TIPS TO COUNTER SURVEILLANCE
PROTECT YOUR DATA
PROTECT PRIVACY ONLINE (ARTICLE)
*NEW* THINK BEFORE YOU POST
*NEW* FBI WARNS CHILD PREDATORS ARE USING VIDEO GAMES TO TARGET VICTIMS
Making a strong password
Making a strong password cont.
Using unique passwords
Password - What not to do
OPSEC Risk Decision Flowchart
*NEW* OPSEC Awareness Education Smart Card
*NEW* OPSEC During Telework Smart Card
*NEW* Destruction of Unclassified Documents Smart Card
*NEW* Securely Transmitting Sensitive Information Smart Card