The 187th Fighter Wing, a part of the Alabama Air National Guard, includes a squadron of F-16 fighter jets, a combat communications group, an RC-26 reconnaissance aircraft squadron, and an eagle vision unit.
The wing's 100th Fighter Squadron is descended from the 100th Fighter Squadron of the "Redtails", the Tuskegee Airmen who distinguished themselves with their bravery and heroism during World War II. The tails of some of the 100FS F-16 aircraft are painted red today to remember and pay tribute to that heritage.
The roots of the 187th Fighter Wing date back to 1952 when the Alabama Air National Guard organized the 160th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron in Birmingham, Alabama equipped with the RF-51 Mustang. The squadron moved to Dannelly Field on January 1, 1953, and entered the jet age with the arrival of the RF-80 in 1955. Within a year the 160th transitioned to the RF-84 Thunderflash aircraft, which served as the squadron's primary aircraft for the next fifteen years. Read full history.