Colonel Christopher J. Germann is the Commander of the 187th Maintenance Group, Dannelly Field, Ala. In this position, he is responsible for combat readiness of 24 F-16’s, associated equipment, resources and munitions, and he commands a total force team of Air National Guard, civilians and Active Duty Airmen.
Col. Germann earned his commission in 1996 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Auburn University and completed Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. He is a command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours in the T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16CJ, F-16A/B/C/D, and QF-16A/C. The colonel’s notable past assignments include tours as the 17th Air Support Operations Squadron Air Liaison Officer, 187th Fighter Wing Chief of Stan Eval, 187th FW Chief of Wing Safety, 187th Operations Support Squadron Director of Operations, and 187th FW F-35 Unit Conversion Officer. He has also flown more than 430 combat hours in support of operations SOUTHERN WATCH, DESERT SPRING, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and INHERENT RESOLVE. Prior to his current assignment, Col. Germann served as the 187th Maintenance Squadron Commander.
1996 Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
2003 Masters in Business Administration, Touro University, Los Alamitos, CA
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
1. August 1996-July 1998; Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. July 1998-May 1999; F-16 Aircraft Commander, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. May 1999-February 2002; Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 22nd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
4. February 2002-February 2004; Air Liaison Officer, 17th Air Support Operations Squadron, Ft. Benning, Ga.
5. February 2004-September 2006; Assistant Director of Operations, 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. September 2006-June 2007, Chief of Scheduling, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
7. June 2007-January 2009, Chief of Training, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
8. January 2009-January 2011; Chief of Wing Plans and Inspections, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
9. January 2011-January 2013; Chief of Wing Safety, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
10. January 2013-December 2015; Chief of Stan Eval, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
11. December 2015-May 2018; Director of Operations, 187th Operation Support Squadron, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
12. May 2018-June 2019; Commander, 187th Maintenance Squadron, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
13. June 2019-Present; Commander, 187th Maintenance Group, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000, including more than 430 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16CJ, F-16A/B/C/D, and QF-16A/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug 30, 1996
First Lieutenant Aug 30, 1998
Captain Aug 30, 2000
Major Aug 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel May 11, 2011
Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of June 2019)