Colonel Brian E. Vaughn is the Vice Commander of the 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala. As vice commander, he assists the wing commander with overseeing the operations of over 1,400 personnel and 22 permanently assigned F-16C+ Fighting Falcons in support of the State of Alabama and the federal government. The wing also provides support to four geographically separated units.
Col. Vaughn earned his commission in 1996 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Auburn University and completed Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus AFB, Mississippi. He is a command pilot with over 3000 military flight hours and more than 22 years of service in the Active Duty Air Force and Air National Guard. The colonel's notable past assignments include tours as the Lead Project Officer for the T-38C bed down and training for Air Education and Training Command, the 77th Fighter Squadron Flight Commander, 100th Fighter Squadron F-16 Instructor Pilot, and 187th Maintenance Squadron Commander.
Col. Vaughn has deployed numerous times in support of operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and in support of the Republic of South Korea and Pacific Air Forces. Additionally, he has also performed numerous Operation Noble Eagle missions, and is currently a member of the US Air Forces in Europe Joint Air Component Coordination Element team. Prior to his current assignment, Col. Vaughn served as the 187th Maintenance Group Commander.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Aviation Management, Auburn University, Ala.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 1996-July 1998; Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. July 1998-March 1999; F-16 Aircraft Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. March 1999-May 2001; F-16 Pilot, 524th Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
4. May 2001-September 2001; T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas.
5. September 2001-May 2002; T-38 Instructor Pilot, Columbus AFB, Miss.
6. May 2002-May 2003; Training Officer, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
7. May 2003-October 2003; Assist. Flight Commander, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
8. October 2003-August 2004; Flight Commander, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus Miss.
6. August 2004-November 2004; F-16 Re-Qualification Course, 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. December 2004-April 2005; Chief of Scheduling, 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
8. April 2005-January 2006; Flight Commander; 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
9. January 2006-September 2007: Assistant Director of Operations; 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. September 2007-March 2011; Chief of Advanced Programs, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
11. July 2011-July 2013, 187th Maintenance Squadron Commander, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
12. July 2013-June 2019, 187th Maintenance Group Commander, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
13. June 2019-Present, 187th Fighter Wing Vice Commander, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2800 hours including more than 300 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-3, T-37, T-38A, T-38C, AT-38, C-130, EA-6B and F-16 C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
1. Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
2. Air Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
3. Aerial Achievement Medal
4. Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
5. Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of June 2021)